Marine Corps League
Galveston County Detachment #668
2 Fort Point, Bldg 6B, Galveston, TX 77550
11 AUGUST 2009
Meeting called to order by Commandant Bob Richardson. Members in attendance were Bob Litwin, James Lewis, Jean Lewis, Mary Denton, Joe Vickery, Art Vega, Rusty Benigar, Ira Sewell, Gerald Mendoza, James Harvey, Linda Harvey, Bill Petch, Dover Bradshaw, Israel Almendarez, Bruce Luerson, Guy Taylor, Gene Overbeck, Lewis Maston, James Avant, Ivan Hammond, Tony Nemitz and guests Stacy Petch, Greg Dougherty and Major Gibbons.
- II. Minutes of 14 July 2009 meeting were approved.
- III. Introduction of New Members and Visitors - New member, Tony Nemitz was introduced along with visitors Stacy Petch, Greg Dougherty and Major Gibbons. Major Gibbons mentioned that the Marine Corp Ball will be held at the San Luis Hotel in Galveston this year for the Galveston Marines returning from deployment. Joe Vickery made a motion to expend $16,000 +/- (estimate) to underwrite the ball. Motion seconded and carried. Commandant Richardson will coordinate with Major Gibbons on fine tuning the details as the ball date approaches.
A. Membership (Bob Litwin) - The detachment has 34 life, 57 regular and 7 members in
arrears for a total membership of 98.
- B. Finance (Bob Litwin) - The monthly cash financial report was presented. Total cash on hand and in banks less the family assistance and MC ball funds was a net balance of $86,201.04 as of 07-31-2009. The full report is available on the detachment website. Bob Litwin made a motion to list the net balance in the minutes. Motion seconded and carried. Bob Litwin made a motion for Ira Sewell to have a detachment credit card for miscellaneous expenses. Motion seconded and carried. The detachment members that will have credit cards going forward are Commandant Richardson, Bob Litwin, James Harvey and Ira Sewell. Commandant Richardson had copies of the annual financial statements for the detachment as of FYE 06-30-2009 available for any members that wanted a copy. Any discussions of the financial statements will be made at the next meeting in September.
- C. Scholarships (Bob Litwin) - none.
- D. Chaplain/Fallen Marine (Joe Vickery) - Three (3) Fallen Marine Services were presented since the last meeting for Charles Schroeder, Julio Perez and Leslie Van Dyke Jr. Joe mailed a card and a certificate of appreciation to the family of Eugene Cox as his family did not want a Fallen Marine Service held.
- E. Other Committee Reports - none.
Continued on Page 2
Continued from Page 2
- V. Correspondence - James Lewis read a card from Mark & Melody Courtright thanking detachment members James Lewis, Jean Lewis, Bob Richardson, James Harvey, Linda Harvey, Rusty Benigar, Gerald Mendoza and Mary Bryant for their service and for their help serving concessions at the benefit for Operation Homefront. $6,000 was raised and will be used to take care of enlisted E-6 and below serving overseas.
- VI. Old Business -
- On August 9, the 1/23 family day at Ellington Field was held. Mary Denton reported that there were 21 league member volunteers that prepared the meal and served approximately 850 people. Mary thanked Bill Petch for his efforts in securing additional outside donations and bringing the ice.
- James Lewis made a motion to donate $5,000 to the Dickinson War Memorial Eagle Scout Project of Abraham Kluksdahl that was presented at the July meeting. Motion was seconded by James Harvey and carried.
- VII. New Business -
- On August 15 (Saturday), a picnic for the Houston Area Recruiters will be held at the Frankie Carter Randolph Park in Friendswood. Address is 5150 FM 2351. James Lewis made a motion that $350 be spent to buy food and supplies. Motion seconded and carried. Volunteers report at 8:30-9:00 AM. See James Harvey or Mary Denton for details.
- On August 29 (Saturday), the Galveston unit is having a return brief for the families of Marines returning from deployment. The detachment has been asked to support a meal for that event. James Lewis made a motion that up to $900 be spent for food and supplies. Motion seconded and carried. Volunteers report at 8:30-9:00 AM. See James Harvey or Mary Denton for details.
- On September 19 (Saturday), the Galveston VFW Post 880 will have a fundraiser to raise additional funds needed to make repairs to their hall from damages caused by Hurricane Ike. The detachment has been asked to help with the cooking. James Harvey will provide more details at the September meeting.
- On September 24, (Thursday), the 5th Marine Division will have a reunion luncheon at Walter Hall Pavillion in League City. Ivan Hammond is a member of this group and has asked the detachment to serve barbeque. 100-150 are expected at the luncheon. More details to follow at the September meeting.
- Bruce Luerson will try and secure the same locations used last year to sell beer at the Galveston Bike Rally that will be held October 29-November 1. More discussion on this at the September meeting.
- Israel Almendarez made a motion to purchase an assault rifle in advance for $1,500 to be raffled at the Galveston County Fair/Rodeo that will take place in April 2010. Rifle is being purchased early as the price could increase at a later date. Motion seconded and carried. Gerald Mendoza will check into the cost of having tickets printed for the rifle raffle and make a report at the September meeting.
- VIII. For the Good of the Order - James Lewis brought copies of "The Title - United States Marine" for members of the detachment. James also mentioned the recent passing of Ed McMahan, longtime sidekick for Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show, who served in the Marine Reserves from 1942-1970. Happy Birthday to Mary Denton (life member).
- IX. Next Meeting - 08 September 2009 (2nd Tuesday of every month)
- X. Meeting was adjourned.
I certify that these meeting minutes are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.
Ira Sewell, Adjutant Bob Richardson, Commandant