Date: Jul 13, 2009
Title: Minutes July 13 2009
MCL minutes for July 13th 2009
Marine Corps League
Galveston County Detachment #668
2 Fort Point, Bldg 6B, Galveston, TX 77550
13 JULY 2009
Meeting called to order by Commandant Bob Richardson. Members in attendance were Bob Litwin, James Lewis, Jean Lewis, Mary Denton, Joe Vickery, Art Vega, Rusty Benigar, Ira Sewell, Gerald Mendoza, James Harvey, Tom Hildenbrand, Bill Petch, Dover Bradshaw, Israel Almendarez, Bruce Luerson, Guy Taylor, Gene Overbeck, Ernest Benefield, Lewis Maston and guests Joann Mendoza, Betsy Kluksdahl, Benjamin Kluksdahl, and Jessica Kluksdahl..
- II. Minutes of 09 June 2009 were approved.
- III. Introduction of New Members and Visitors - New member, Lewis Maston, was introduced. Visitor Betsy Kluksdahl, mother of Boy Scout Abraham Kluksdahl, was introduced along with her children Benjamin and Jessica and presented the detachment with a project that Abraham is doing to earn his Eagle Scout designation. It is a war memorial honoring the 5 five branches of the military to be built at Gazebo Park on Hwy 3 in Dickinson TX. Funds needed to be raised for the project is $21,390 which is to cover the cost of materials. The labor to build the memorial will be provided by the Boy Scouts and volunteers Ms. Kluksdahl requested that the detachment make a donation of $500 or more to help build the memorial. Abraham was unable to present the project details in person as he was away on a scouting trip. After the presentation, Commandant Richardson stated that the detachment would discuss the project at future meetings.
A. Membership (Bob Litwin) - The detachment has 34 life, 59 regular and 6 members in
arrears for a total membership of 99.
- B. Finance (Bob Litwin) - The monthly cash financial report was presented. Total cash on hand and in banks was $90,927.76 as of 07-14-2009. The full report is available on the detachment website.
- C. Scholarships (Bob Litwin) - none.
- D. Chaplain/Fallen Marine (Joe Vickery) - Five (5) Fallen Marine Services were presented since the last meeting for Harry Coral, Dr. Robert Carbello, Bob Marx (past detachment member/commandant), Thomas Hunter and Julio Perez. Joe has requested that more detachment members participant in this program and has three (3) sets of League uniforms available for use for those that don't have their own.
- E. 4th of July Parade - Israel Almendarez thanked the detachment members that volunteered on Friday for the striping and Saturday to get the parade participants organized and serving refreshments. James Lewis recommended that parade participants be spaced at 25 feet for better movement. Commandant Richardson thanked the I & I color guard for their outstanding job in the parade.
- F. Other Committee Reports - none.
Continued on page 2
Continued from page 1
- V. Correspondence - Commandant Richardson read a letter from Ed & Diane McHollie (in-laws of 1st Sgt Mathews) thanking the detachment for an outstanding job in coordinating the 4th of July parade.
- VI. Old Business -
- Joe Vickery reported that the detachment web-site continues to add supporters and presented donations of $700 to the paymaster, Bob Litwin.
- VII. New Business -
- On August 9th (Sunday), the 123rd at Ellington Field will be having a family day. James Harvey made a motion to expend $750 for food & supplies to prepare a meal for the event. Motion was seconded by Dover Bradshaw and carried. Volunteers will be needed to cook and serve and need to be at the new training center around 8:30-9:00 AM. See James or Mary Denton for details.
- On August 29th (Saturday), the Galveston unit is having a return brief for Marines returning from combat. The detachment has been asked to support a meal for that event. Details to follow at the next meeting.
- VIII. For the Good of the Order - Commandant Richardson asked for volunteers to serve on the bingo committee. The following detachment members volunteered to serve: James Lewis, James Harvey, Gerald Mendoza, Dover Bradshaw, Bob Litwin, Art Vega and Commandant Richardson.
- IX. Next Meeting - 11 August 2009 (2nd Tuesday of every month)
- X. Meeting was adjourned.
I certify that these meeting minutes are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.
Ira Sewell, Adjutant Bob Richardson, Commandant