10 NOVEMBER 2009
Meeting called to order by Commandant Bob Richardson. Members in attendance were Bob Litwin, James Lewis, Jean Lewis, Joe Vickery, Art Vega, Ira Sewell, Gerald Mendoza, Israel Almendarez, Guy Taylor, Gene Overbeck, Lewis Maston, Ivan Hammond, Tony Nemitz, Mary Bryant, Mary Denton, James Harvey, Linda Harvey, Ed Ciavaglia, Lavell Williams, Sylvia Gajewski and guests Joann Mendoza, David King, Rusty Brooks and Dana Robinson.
- II. Introduction of New Members and Visitors - New member, Sylvia Gajewski was introduced. Guests Rusty Brooks and Dana Robinson were introduced. Ms. Robinson presented a check to the detachment, in the amount of $5,000, for a recent fund raiser that was held in San Leon TX to support the Marine Corps in Galveston County.
- III. Minutes of 13 October 2009 meeting were approved.
A. Membership (Bob Litwin) - The detachment has 36 life, 60 regular and 4 members in
arrears for a total membership of 100.
- B. Finance (Bob Litwin) - The monthly cash financial report was presented. Total cash on hand and in banks less the family assistance fund was a net balance of $92,918.72 as of 11-10-2009.
- C. Scholarships (Bob Litwin) - None.
- D. Chaplain/Fallen Marine/Website (Joe Vickery) - No Fallen Marine Services were presented since the last meeting. Joe read two (2) thank you notes from the Wilson and Coral families for Fallen Marine Services that were recently presented.
- E. Galveston Bike Rally (Bob Litwin) - Bob stated that the net proceeds after expenses was $7,351.08.
- F. Dickens on the Strand (Bob Richardson) - This event will be held on 12/05-12/06. Booth set-up will on 12/04 commencing around 4:30 PM. Commandant Richardson stated that the booth will be at the same location as in the past, 22nd & Strand. To work in the booth, you must be in period costume (Victorian era). Period costume is not necessary if working in the cooking area only. James Lewis stated that he will make arrangements to buy the corn. James Harvey will be the head cook in the cooking area. Guy Taylor stated that he will handle the securing of the cooking area from Stewart Title. For more information contact Commandant Richardson or James Harvey.
- G. Other Committee Reports - None.
Continued on Page 2
Continued from Page 2
- V. Correspondence - Commandant Richardson received a letter from the event promoter, for the 2010 Marti Gras, offering the detachment a beer booth (12' x 12') to operate for $4,800. At this time, it is unknown where the location of the booth will be. More discussion will follow at the December meeting on whether the detachment would want to lease this booth or use Tina's and the Admiralty as in the past.
- VII. New Business -
- Israel Almendarez stated that the Masons asked the detachment to help with presenting a Golden Trial Award to Judge Mike Nelson who is a member of the detachment. Israel is looking for six (6) volunteers to help with this and wear their red jackets. Date of the event is 11/20. Contact Israel for more information.
- James Harvey made a motion that the detachment support a joint Marine Corps League and Reserve, I & I Christmas party to be held on 12/21 in the amount of up to $1,500 to pay for the meal and gifts for the children of the Marine families. Motion was seconded and carried. More info will be available at the December meeting.
- Mary Denton stated that the Poolee Field Meet will be held on 04/17/2010 (Saturday) at Sterling High School in Baytown. Mary requested that detachment volunteers help with this shared event. More details to follow at future meetings.
- Art Vega stated that pictures taken at the Marine Corps Birthday Ball in Galveston are available for sale online at www.danielcolvinphotography.com, password: usmc09.
- VIII. For the Good of the Order - 1) James Lewis mentioned that The Third Marine Division Association, LCpl Richard A. Anderson Chapter is raffling off a Tokarov 7.62 semi-automatic pistol that was liberated during the Vietnam War. Drawing will be held at the chapter's Christmas party in December. See James for tickets and further details. 2) Commandant Richardson wished the Marines a Happy Birthday and invited all members present to enjoy cake and coffee after the meeting.
- IX. Next Meeting - 08 December 2009 (2nd Tuesday of every month).
- X. Meeting was adjourned.
I certify that these meeting minutes are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.
Ira Sewell, Adjutant Bob Richardson, Commandant