Feb 2, 2011
Minutes January 2011
JANUARY 11, 2011
Meeting called to order at 1800 hours by Commandant Bob Richardson. Other members in attendance were; Dover Bradshaw, Lewis Maston, Ivan Hammond, Guy Taylor, Joe Vickery, Gene Overbeck, Bob Litwin, Sylvia A. Gajewski, James Harvey, Terry Lutz, Israel Almendarez, Art Vega, Mary Bryant, Gayle Furleigh, Frank Furleigh, Ed Ciavaglia and Terry Bohannon.
- I. Pledge of Allegiance- led by Ivan Hammond.
- II. Introduction of New Members and Visitors- New member Frank Furleigh introduced himself to the League and spoke of his duties while in service to his Country. As Liaison and Veterans Service Officer of Galveston County he encouraged any persons with issues or concerns, service-related, to contact him at his Galveston office. Return guests Mark S. Eikenberry and Mario Celis who spoke of the great things the American Legion is doing in the community and extended gratitude to the Marine Corps League community for support in past endeavors. Scholarship recipient Tiffany Almendarez reported another excellent semester behind and sincerest thanks to the League for its sponsorship of her dream.
- III. Minutes of 14 December 2010 meeting approved and entered as record.
- IV. Committee Reports:
- Membership (Bob Litwin)- the detachment has 34 life, 53 regular and 7 members in arrears for a total membership of 94.
- Finance (Bob Litwin)- Cash balances reported by paymaster Litwin as of December 31, 2010 were: General account cash of 16,166.06 plus CD’s of 69,901.98 totaling 86,068.04 with Bingo account cash of 47,988.46 plus bingo CD’s of 60,457.76 totaling 108,446.22 for a grand total of 194,514.26 less 657.41 held in general cash account that is (non MCL) Family Assistance Funds, equaling available MCL funds of 193,856.85.
- Scholarships (Bob Litwin)- Kaitlan Anderson, daughter of retired Master Sergeant and league member Scott Anderson, who is entering her second semester of her freshman year at the University of Houston. Motion for support was made, seconded and approved. Motion made, seconded and passed for continued support of Tiffany Almendarez who is pursuing Dental Degree at College of the Mainland.
- Chaplain/Fallen Marine/Website (Joe Vickery)- Received letter of appreciation from Erica Blackburn for memorial service held for Victor Blackburn. As always, any member who wishes to serve in a memorial please contact Joe Vickery for details and directions.
- Other Committee Reports
- 1. At present League is working out the details and specifications for Mardi gras 2011 with greatest attention given to property line issues for booth construction and placement within the confines of the codes parameters for event. Reported that sign-up sheet, with detailed time and event information, will be available at Feb. 8th monthly league meeting. Will be discussing in greater detail events that have unfolded since last meeting which will assist greatly in your commitment to promote the League at this event. If you have any questions in the interim feel free to contact James Harvey.
- 2. Israel Almendarez reported that all licenses for booth and gate have been secured. Menu and cost structure for refreshment booth in place and prepared for procurement at proper time. Raffle packets for league members available for sale, please check with Art Vega for ticket sign-out log.
- 3. Bob Richardson, speaking on behalf of Mary Denton, announced there will be a poolee (new recruits awaiting boot camp) event at Austin High School on March 26th, 2011. Volunteers will be needed for this event. These events give all league members a perfect opportunity to assist in the ushering in of the new breed. The very reason we all come together to continue the tradition of the Corps is the fact that we all stood nervously in the same yellow footprints these young men and women will be standing at attention upon very soon. Giving these new recruits some positive reinforcement, before Boot Camp changes them forever, is exactly the kind of support the Corps is famous for. Few of the commitments and causes we endorse and make happen with hard work and espirit de corps leave you with such a good feeling as when we help deliver these new recruits to MCRD with a high degree of motivation. Will have more details at next meeting.
- 4. Motion made to appoint Joyce Fenter as agent/bookkeeper for Boot-Kikker Bingo Account Unit, motion seconded and passed unanimously. Subsequently authorized J. Fenter to disperse funds to and from account via electronic transfer. Each month Bingo Chairperson, Robert Litwin, will review all transactions.
- V. Correspondence- League received letter of thanks from Sgt. Patrick Allen for assistance rendered by league.
- VI. Old Business- Motion made to continue sponsorship of Toys for Tots, motion seconded and passed.
- VII. New Business
- 1. Discussed conducting a Barbeque in honor of the retirement forthcoming of 1st Sgt. Mathews of the I & I staff. February 13th was tentative date set for ceremony/party. Motion made to procure gift for the 1st Sgt who has been a poster for all that is great about the Corps and has been essential to our successes in all league initiatives and activities, motion seconded and passed. The league wishes the best for the 1st Sgt. in his retirement.
- 2. Announced party at Mario’s ( 61st) on Thursday the January 16th at noon for 1st Sgt. Mathews. All league members were invited and meals were to be provided as part of the celebration.
- VIII. Next Meeting February 8th, 2011 @ 6:00 pm @ Two Fort Point
- IX. Adjourn Meeting @ 1920 hours