12 OCTOBER 2010
Meeting called to order at 6:10 PM by Commandant Bob Richardson. Other Members in attendance were, Rusty Benigar, Gene Overbeck, James Lewis, Bob Litwin, James Harvey, Ivan Hammond, Jerry Purdon, Joe Vickery, Israel Almendarez, Guy Taylor, Lewis Maston, Terry Bohannon, Kevin Wilson, and Art Vega, Associate Members Jean Lewis, Mary Denton, and Sylvia Gajewski, and Visitors Mark Mills, and Layne Barrack.
- Pledge of Allegiance – led by Israel Almendarez
- Introduction of New Members and Visitors – New member Kevin Wilson, Visitors Mark Mills and Layne Barrack.
- Minutes of 14 September 2010 meeting were not available due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Committee Reports:
- Membership (Bob Litwin) – the detachment has 37 life, 65 regular and 6 members in
arrears, for a total membership of 108. An open discussion was held about the process for approving new members, and the method of administering the oath of membership. It was generally agreed that all future new member applicants would be screened by the Detachment Board of Trustees (all officers and appointed Past Commandant James Harvey), and it would forward a recommendation for or against membership status to the general membership for a vote. All members attending the meeting were required to renew their oath of membership to reinforce the duties and responsibilities of members. Future accepted members will be required to sign the oath of membership on the application form or be administered the oath at the next Detachment meeting.
- Finance (Bob Litwin) – Cash balances reported by paymaster Litwin as of September 30, 2010 were General account cash $11,394 plus CD’s $69,344 totaling $80,738 and bingo account cash $46,266 plus CD’s $60,285 totaling $106,552 for a grand total of $187,290 less $657 held in general cash account that is (non MCL) Family Assistance Funds, equaling available MCL funds of $186,633.
- Scholarships (Bob Litwin) – Sara Jane Nelson, $500.00, sponsored by member Mike Nelson.
- Chaplain/Fallen Marine/Website (Joe Vickery) We had a total of 4 fallen Marine services last month.
- Dickens on the Strand (December 3-5) – Bob Richardson reported that all fees had been paid and accepted and that booth number 830 had again been assigned.
Continued on Page 2
Continued from Page 1
- Lone Star Bike Rally(November 4-7) – Bob Richardson advised that the Board would be meeting with the owners of the Admiralty and Tina’s Gift Shops to attempt to obtain the same agreement for beer sales on their facilities this year. A meeting with the City is planned to determine if any new requirements will be in place that would cause any change in operating the site at Tina’s.
- Galveston County Fair and Rodeo(April 2011) – Israel Almendarez stated that we are on schedule to work a food/beverage booth at the upcoming rodeo and the food booth fees had been paid. Israel moved that another $100.00 be approved to be paid to the Rodeo to reserve a booth space directly outside the large exhibit building to be used by us to raffle two rifles. Motion was approved. Bob Litwin was asked to forward a copy of the detachments insurance to the Rodeo manager.
- Other Committee Reports – None.
- Correspondence – none
- Old Business
- Motion was made for Art Vega to arrange to purchase an answering machine, on a one year contract, and phone line to be used for Detachment business at Guy Taylor’s residence. Motion was approved. Cost is to be negotiated by Art Vega.
- A revised Form for “Fund Requests” from the Detachment was presented for approval by Art Vega. Funding limits stated in the new forms are: Individuals - $500 per request and $1,500 limit per year; Families - $750 per request and $2,000 limit per year; and Organizations - $1,000 per request and $2,500 per year. Motion for the new limits was approved. Motion was made to allow the Detachment Board of Trustees to approve Fund Requests up to the stated limits without further general membership approval. Motion was approved. The new rules state that requests that exceed the stated limits, but where circumstances warrant, such request may be approved upon approval of the Detachment Board of Trustees and vote of the general membership. Presentations may be required by the Board of Trustees and/or the general membership.
- New Business
- Motion to purchase a $500 ad in the Houston Marine Corps Coordinating Council program for their 2010 Marine Corps Ball was approved.
- Art Vega asked for help in getting military personnel, past and present, to make presentations on the military to a class at La Marque High School. I & I First Sergeant Mathews said he would be proud to participate and help Art coordinate this project.
- Bob Richardson reported the Detachment Board of Trustees met and approved the Detachment to pay $10 for each detachment member and 1 guest , and that each subsequent individual would be required to pay $25. The Board reported that it had approved financial assistance funds as follows; Cpl. Madrigal- $400; Retired SSgt. Uribe $1,500 and Vicki Diaz, wife of former 3rd Amtrac Company, Galveston, marine Les Van Dyke, $1,150.
- Motion by Mary Denton for the Detachment to pay expenses of wounded marine Steven Schultz and his family to attend the Galveston Marine Corps Ball on November 13, 2010. Approved.
- Motion was made to pay transportation, lodging and meal expenses required to allow, medically retired marine, Cpl. Aaron Mankin to be the guest speaker for Galveston’s 2010 Marine Corps Ball.
- For the Good of the Order
- Joe Vickery reminded that the minutes were now posted on the Detachment Website.
Continued on Page 3
Continued from Page 2
- Next Meeting – 9 November 2010
- Meeting was adjourned at 7:50pm
I certify that these meeting minutes are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.
Terry Bohannon, Adjutant Bob Richardson, Commandant